If you are now or will soon be out of your parents’ house, get a toaster oven!
No, seriously. Unlike the fax machine, the toaster oven is an endlessly advantageous piece of simple technology to own.
- it accomplishes the functions of a regular toaster without scary finger-burning slots
- you can just stick your whole plate of food in it like a microwave
- but your food will get evenly warm and crispy, not half nuclear/half frozen and soggy
- and if it’s true that microwaves kill you, you will be safer
- also, you can make a quesadilla without having to stand and fry it at the stove top
- Rachelle agrees
- if you have it at college where toaster ovens are not allowed in dorms, the RD may not recognize it as a toaster (it looks kind of like a microwave)
- in the summer you can bake things without making your kitchen hot or running up your utilities bills
Seriously. Get thee to a toaster oven store and make this wise purchase. I am 23 and thus speak from a position of authority on this site :P
P.S. They are not just for grandmas. They come in nice colors: